Abstinence Christmas Cocktail
𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗖𝗵𝗿𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗺𝗮𝘀 𝗖𝗼𝗰𝗸𝘁𝗮𝗶𝗹 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗔𝗕𝗦𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗘𝗡𝗖𝗘 𝗦𝗽𝗶𝗿𝗶𝘁𝘀: 𝗦𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗯𝗲𝘁 𝘀𝗺𝗮𝘀𝗵 🌿 🍎
- 37,5ml ABSTINENCE Spice
- 25ml Raspberry shrub
- 25ml Apple juice
- 10ml Lemon juice
- 20ml Honey water (hot water 1: 1 honey)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- Pour ABSTINENCE into the glass.
- Shake the rest of the ingredients.
- Ice up the glass and strain into glass.
- Stir through.
- Garnish with thyme. (In absence of a shaker/jar just stir)
𝑺𝒉𝒓𝒖𝒃: 𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒊𝒕? 🌿
A shrub is a drinking or sipping vinegar originally from Turkey and Persia that is a fantastic addition to any drink trolley. Shrubs are made from vinegar, fruit and a sweetener like honey or sugar.
Shrubs taste similar to kombucha. Definitively tart, slightly sweet and infused with flavours of fruit, berries and herbs.
Adding to any drink, virtuous or not, adds layers of flavour. They are super easy to make.
Two ways to make a shrub:
- stove-cooking or
Stove-cooking is easier and faster, but cold-process yields better flavour. Personally, I like taking my time to get a more robust flavour.
- 1 cup Raspberry
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Apple cider vinegar
- Boil some water, then sterilise whatever container you will use to make the shrub in.
- Add raspberries to the container in a thin layer. Sprinkle sugar evenly over them.
- Crush the fruit to increase the constant between ingredients.
- Rest in the fridge for anything between 6 and 24 hours. The ideal result is the vast majority of the sugar has dissolved.
- Strain the pulp, skins and pips from the mixture.
- Add the vinegar and refrigerate.
- Shake before use.